As physiotherapists we aim to create an environment for healing that is not just the final-straw’ but rather a holistic approach including lifestyle changes undertaken by the client and therapist.
We, at Alphen House, focus on the “whole individual”, and therefore we offer a wide range of activities and therapies. From Physiotherapy and other health professions, to Pilates, Aquatic Therapy, and Yoga, there is something for everyone.
I am passionate about my chosen profession, Physiotherapy.
Coming from a medical family I have always been interested in the human body and how it works. Sporting and outdoor activities are a significant part of my life, including tennis, hockey, swimming, cycling and golf. I am also an avid spectator of rugby and cricket.
In 2003 I enrolled at UCT for Physiotherapy and that’s when I fell in love with Cape Town and all it has to offer.
I completed my Community Service in 2008 in Durban and then headed off to the UK to broaden my experience. I spent a year working in various NHS hospitals in London and then moved into private practice there for 2.5 years where I focused on Musculoskeletal injuries and Orthopaedics.
On returning to South Africa in 2012, I completed my OMT Course (Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy) and worked in Sea Point and Constantia practices, again dealing with Musculoskeletal and Orthopaedic patients. At this time, I also completed training in Aqua-therapy and started working with patients in the pool. I soon appreciated how the benefits of Aqua-therapy compliment hands-on physiotherapy, in areas of strengthening, co-ordination and balance.
In 2013 Angela and I opened Alphen House. It had always been my goal to open my own practice one day, and to do this with a colleague and good friend has been a great experience.
We offer Physiotherapy, Aqua-therapy and Pilates.
- 2007 Bsc (Hons) in Physiotherapy UCT
- 2013 to Present: Johnston-Boers Physiotheray, Alphen House
- 2010 – April 2012: Physiotherapy Private Practice in London, UK (caseload incl. sports injuries, back and neck patients, post-surgery Lumbar Disectomies, Achilles Tendon repairs, ACL reconstructions etc.)
- 2009 London NHS: Hospital in-patients; Musculoskeletal out-patients.
- 2008 Community Service: St Aidans Hospital, KZN
- Dry Needling
- Pregnancy Pilates
- Orthopaedic Aqua Therapy Course
- Designing the Best Aquatic Exercise Programme
- Aquatic Therapy Gerontology course
- Aquatic Foundation Phase course
- International Aquatics Foundation Course and Watsu
- Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy (OMT)
- APPI MET of the Lumbar and Pelvis (UK)
- Mulligans NAGS and SNAGS (UK)
- ALLIED Acupuncture Foundation (incl. follow-up course) (UK)
- APPI Matwork Pilates (UK)